10/03/2012

So much to tell, so little time.

It's hard to beleive that I am so far behind with this blog, but I am.  Any internet time I get when I am not actually doing travelling things seems to be taken up with writing tips on Virtual Tourist and that can be time consuming, to say the least.  You might want to check there for a few of the things I have done.  I shall, however, dedicate a few hours on this gloriously sunny Saturday in San Miguel, nursing a San Miguel to telling you some more of my rambles.  OK, I only wrote that last sentence to make my European readers jealous, sorry guys.

I had left you at the completely washed out first night of the Bacolodiat / Chinese New Year festival and the hope that the Saturday would be better weather.  Well, it was and after a fairly uneventful pool and wandering around day the seun set, as it does regularly at 1800.  I don't understand it but in Southeast Asia, no matter what the month it always seems to be sunset at the same time.  A quick bite to eat and back into town for the night's festivities.  Turning into Lacson Street, the first thing that caught my eye was the local car club displaying their wheels.  This one particularly took my fancy and also shows the powerful effect of the Roman Catholic Church here.  I have no doubt that in Europe this would be a semi-dressed woman or some such.  It was very impressive though.

Custom Car, Bacolod.

The next thing of note was a couple of pretty impressive inflatables.

Inflatables, Bacolod.



Saturday was very much of the same as Friday only moreso.  Another stage had been erected, the fireworks seemed even better and the revellers more raucous.  One difference was that the additional stage featured some very talented youngsters performing various dances.

Dancers, Bacolod.
I had to include this next photo.  She had a voice like an angel but what in the name of all that's holy was her wardrobe consultant thinking?

Fashion Disaster, Bacolod.
I could not help but have a mental vision of her train concealing an air line to keep the whole contraption inflated.

I don't know if I have mentioned before the quality of Philippine musicianship, it is universally high.  Youngsters who appear to be in their mid teens knock out note perfect covers of pop songs.  I have had the privelege of playing with a few local bands and they really are the business, even managing to cover me which takes some doing.  There as a good band playing at one of the stages, so I had a bit of a word with the security guy and it was "Access all areas" for yours truly.  Bless her, the young female vocalist even started playing up for the camera as you can see.

Vocalist, Bacolod.
The firework display, as I mentioned, was again impressive.  I can never seem to get a good photo of fireworks, I don't know why, but this is the most presentable of a very bad bunch.

Fireworks and lanterns, Bacolod.
After a couple of beers and a couple of games of pool (Won 1, Lost 1) it was off to bed and prepare for the Sunday night which was the actual New Years Eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment